Hardscaping makes it possible to expand your living space and create an outdoor area where you’ll enjoy entertaining and spending time throughout the year.
What Is Hardscaping?
Hardscaping is made up of any hard landscaping materials and structures that are used in the design of a landscape. Basically, anything that you do to cover up the soil or grass in your yard with a hard surface can be considered hardscaping. While a hardscape is especially useful for those in urban areas or where grass and plants are difficult to keep alive, any home can benefit from hardscaping.
Retaining walls act as a hardscape focal point, but can also help manage drainage, add support to slopes, level out an area, and more.
Patios and Pathways
The team at Circle D Industries will help you decide on the right features and finishes for your stone patio or pathway.
Outdoor kitchens by Circle D Industries help extend your living space outside and add an entertainment feature to your yard.
Fireplaces and Fire Pits
Fire pits and fireplaces offer a great entertainment option, and can be a beautiful focal point for your patio or yard.
Steps and Edging
While fireplaces and patios act as central features, things like stone edging and steps provide a more functional addition to your yard while enhancing your curb appeal.
Arbors and Pergolas
If you’re looking to warm your space up with wood, pergolas and arbors offer several benefits. Both pergolas and arbors add beauty to your yard, but they also provide a functional aspect.
Patio covers serve many purposes in your outdoor area. They can be attached to your home to protect landings, patios, or spaces that store vehicles.
A fence is often one of the first projects people consider when upgrading their yard. Adding a fence has several benefits, including privacy, increasing your home’s value, separating spaces, and defining the boundary of your property.
From simple pathways to elaborate pergolas, man made features make an outdoor area work for your needs. Not only will hardscaping make your outdoor space look better, it can also help to address issues like resolving drainage problems, creating privacy, and correcting uneven surfaces.
Hardscaping Vs. Softscaping
When you think of landscaping, grass and gardens might be the first thing to come to mind. You might even think of a hardscape as a huge deck taking up the entire yard. In reality, a well planned yard will balance hardscaping and softscaping to give you the benefits of each.
- Spoftscaping: Green grass and flower gardens look beautiful and offer the yard that many homeowners dream of. Costs can sometimes be lower for softscaping because of the lower cost of materials. They also require more maintenance to keep up the colorful and healthy appearance.
- Hardscaping: Covering a soft landscape means making an area more usable. Homeowners can design the space to fit their needs and serve a purpose, while still creating a beautiful outdoor area. Using hard materials is ideal for areas where plants are difficult to care for or for homeowners who don’t have time to maintain gardens. The right materials and a well thought out design prevents hardscaping from taking away from the warmth and comfort of a yard.
Benefits Of Hardscaping
For many homeowners, using a hardscape to create an outdoor living space is an ideal landscaping solution. Here are some of the ways that hardscaping can improve your outdoor living space.
- Turn unused space into an extension of your living space by using a hardscape plan to resolve uneven surfaces and redirect drainage with retaining walls.
- Improve privacy with plants and fencing, to make your yard a quiet getaway.
- Define the space by using paths to direct traffic to entertaining areas, creating edging to keep plants in place, and building fences and walls to separate the space.
- Customize your space with your choices in design, colors, and materials. Your outdoor area can be completely unique.
- Make the space work for your family. For those that love to entertain, a plan can include a barbecue and dining area. Those with children can make space for a play area. When your design is customized, you can have exactly what you want.
- Use your space year round. With paved surfaces and covered structures to protect against the elements and provide shade, you’ll find yourself outdoors during every season.
Designing a customized outdoor space with a skilled team of designers and builders from Circle D Industries means that you can get the look you want and the features you need. When designing a hardscape plan, the team will help you consider the factors listed below, to come up with a great design.
- Drainage Issues: If the ground in your yard isn’t even, you’ll need to have the problem corrected before diving into designing the space. Resolving drainage issues and leveling the area creates a stable foundation to build on.
- Landscaping and Greenery: While your focus now might be the hardscape, the green area of your yard should be a consideration as well. A trained irrigation specialist will fit a sprinkler system into your plan to keep your green space healthy.
- Using the Space: When considering the focal point and structures for your yard, think about how you’ll use the space. Will you be cooking and entertaining? Are you looking for a zen space with a water feature where you can relax? Sharing your plans for the space will help the design team create a plan to include everything you need.
- Choosing Materials: The materials you pick will determine the overall feeling of your space. Some families prefer a relaxed area while others will want a more formal space. Some will want to feel like they’re in a casual coastal getaway while others will want to channel a Mediterranean courtyard. The materials for each project will set the tone.
How Circle D Industries Creates A Hardscape
With a dedicated team of experienced professionals, CDI uses custom stone work and wood structures to transform outdoor spaces.
- Custom Stonework: In outdoor living spaces, custom stone work can be used to create walls, patios, steps, fireplaces and outdoor kitchens. With the skill of designers and builders on the team at Circle D Industries, stone work can combine form and function for a space that feels warm and inviting.
- Wood Structures: Wood structures, including arbors and pergolas, patio covers, and fences, offer the upgrades that make your yard work for you. Using wood structures can provide protection from the rain and block the sun to offer shade in the warmer months.